Stanford University Name Use, Seal, or Logo Requests
Requests to use the name Stanford, photographs of the university, or any of its seals, logos, or symbols in advertisements or marketing materials, press releases, movies or television programs must be directed to University Communications. (The Office of Vice President for Business Affairs reviews requests for use of the Stanford name by external entities doing business with Stanford.)
Use of the Stanford name and marks in a manner that implies endorsement of programs, products or services of any entity not directly associated with, or licensed in writing by, the university is prohibited. Permission for third parties to use the name Stanford or the university's symbols is rarely granted.
The university is the owner of a number of marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Among these are:
- LELAND STANFORD JUNIOR UNIVERSITY ORGANIZED 1891®
- STANFORD UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER®
- Block "S" with tree
All of Stanford's registered marks, as well as other names, logos, seals and other symbols that are representative of the university or its entities, whether or not registered, are the property of Stanford University. Such names and marks may be used solely with permission of persons having specific authorization by the Board of Trustees or the President of the University.
Requests must include:
- Name and description of the organization or individual making the request and relationship to Stanford.
- Name, address and phone number of contact person.
- Project description, including the context and way in which Stanford is to be portrayed, and the intended use of the resulting material.
- Description of any requested filming, videotaping, or photography on campus, including date, specific sites requests, number of people and amount of equipment involved, etc.
For additional information: