News Photos, Video and Broadcast
Stanford News Service accommodates reasonable requests for journalistic, news-related, non-commercial shooting by members of the media involved in Stanford-related news gathering, but reserves the right to deny permission. The subject of all news-related filming or photography must be directly related to the university.
General rules for journalists
- Journalists must adhere to the university’s privacy policies. No one at Stanford can be filmed without his or her permission, except at public events to which the public and media have been invited.
- Permission to shoot news-related photography or filming in interior spaces is required in all circumstances. This includes administration and office buildings, classrooms, laboratories, dormitories, dining facilities and residences.
- News and professional film and photography is prohibited in the Main Quadrangle and Memorial Court. Stanford provides high-quality downloadable B-roll for members of the media seeking images of the university’s iconic areas.
- Journalists are prohibited from parking satellite trucks anywhere on campus without permission from the Stanford News Service for news purposes or Stanford Athletics for sporting events.
- Journalists are discouraged from doing “person-on-the-street” interviews at Stanford without assistance from the Stanford News Service. Such interviews are allowed only in White Plaza.
- All journalists working at Stanford are expected to carry appropriate credentials.
The News Service is available to assist news crews with shooting on campus if needed, including helping to set up locations and get access to restricted areas when permission to shoot has been granted. In many cases, especially if you are not familiar with Stanford, we can save you time and effort if you call us at 650-723-2558.
Obtaining Stanford News Service photographs
Photographs related to recent press releases can be found at http://newsphotos.stanford.edu. To obtain other photographs of Stanford individuals and events for publication in news media, as well as books and journals, please contact the News Service Library at email@example.com or (650) 725-1943.
News Service photo policy
Photographs provided by the Stanford News Service are to be used – with appropriate credit – for editorial purposes only. Flopping, altering or otherwise embellishing these photos in any way that changes the photographs' editorial content is prohibited. Images provided for Web use must be resized to low resolution. Permission is for one-time use only. Supplied image files must be deleted after use.
Broadcast news media requests for high-quality, downloadable campus B-roll should be directed to Gordon Gurley, Director, Stanford Video, firstname.lastname@example.org
Stanford has broadcast studio facilities available to the news media on a first-come, first-served basis for interviewing faculty and staff. We have the capacity to transmit by VYVX fiber optic for television and by ISDN for radio for live broadcast feeds. For more information contact Stanford Video at (650) 725-0697.