Wedding and Portrait Photography at Stanford University
Wedding and portrait photography and filming on Stanford lands is prohibited except for couples being married at Memorial Church and for members of the Stanford University community as described below. Couples being married in Memorial Church may only take their on-campus wedding photographs on the day of the ceremony.
Individuals with a Stanford connection – alumni, students, faculty or staff members – may request permission to take wedding and portrait photographs on university property. Requests for permission must be submitted at least five business days in advance.
Wedding or portrait photographs can only be taken on weekends. University policy prohibits wedding and portrait photography in the Main Quadrangle, Memorial Court and The Oval unless the wedding takes place in Memorial Church.
Wedding/portrait photography is only allowed in the following locations on the Stanford campus:
- History Corner (Bldg. 200), which is located on the outer perimeter of the Main Quad at the intersection of Serra Mall and Lasuen Mall (across from the Stanford Art Gallery).
- In the courtyard, immediately behind Bldg. 200 (across from the Traitel Building).
- White Plaza, (the area between the Stanford Bookstore and the Old Union Complex).
Other than wedding ceremonies held in Memorial Church, the university prohibits photography of large groups of individuals (more than six).
All requests for wedding/portrait photography must include the following information:
- Name of the person making the request, his or her affiliation to the university and contact information.
- Date and time requested (Note that the university will not accommodate wedding photography during weekdays or when there are major events on campus).
- Specific site(s) requested. (Requests absent specific locations will not be considered.)
- Number of people and amount of equipment involved.
- Professional photographer/videographer must be able to provide proof of adequate insurance coverage and indemnity and cannot use the resulting photographs for marketing purposes. The resulting photographs and/or video must only be for the personal, non-commercial use of the Stanford affiliate.
- The university affiliate (alum, student, faculty, staff member) must carry proof of identity and of the university’s permission during the photography or film session and is responsible for assuring that the photographer and videographer adhere to the university’s policies.
Email requests for wedding and portrait photography to E.J. Miranda, email@example.com.
Last updated: January 30, 2018