Wedding and Portrait Photography at Stanford University
Wedding and portrait photography and filming on Stanford lands is prohibited except for couples being married at Memorial Church and for exceptions detailed below. Couples being married in Memorial Church may only take their on-campus wedding photographs on the day of the ceremony.
People with a Stanford connection—meaning, for instance, the bride or groom is an alum, student, faculty or staff—may request an exception to the university’s prohibition on wedding and portrait photography and filming. Requests for permission must be received at least five business days in advance. Permission will not be granted for the Main Quadrangle, Oval, Memorial Court or the Cantor Arts Center. The process for requesting permission is outlined below.
All wedding/portrait requests must include the following information:
- Name of the person making the request, his or her affiliation to the university and contact information.
- Date and time requested (Note that the university will not accommodate wedding photography during weekdays or when there are major events on campus).
- Specific site(s) requested. (Requests absent specific locations will not be considered. Note that wedding photography is prohibited in the Main Quadrangle, Oval, Memorial Court and at the Cantor Center.)
- Number of people and amount of equipment involved.
- Potential disruption (sound, light, physical, etc.) of university activities.
- Photographer and videographer must be able to provide proof of adequate insurance coverage and indemnity and cannot use the resulting photographs for marketing purposes. The resulting photographs and/or video must only be for the personal, non-commercial use of the Stanford affiliate.
- University affiliate must carry proof of identity and of the university’s permission during the photography or film session and is responsible for assuring that the photographer and videographer adhere to the university’s policies.
Email requests for exceptions to university wedding and portrait photography policies to Ernest Miranda, firstname.lastname@example.org.