Non-News Film, Photography and Video
Commercial filming and photography related to the marketing of companies and organizations other than Stanford is prohibited on university-owned lands. Such activities are incompatible with the university’s non-profit status and long-standing policies prohibiting endorsement or the appearance of endorsement.
Stanford University Communications will consider film and photography requests involving programs featuring Stanford students, faculty or staff, or the creation of television shows, movies, documentaries or educational-related programs, providing the subject matter is related to Stanford. In general, requests to film or photograph profiles of individual members of the Stanford community on university property are not approved.
- Non-Stanford entities are prohibited from flying drones and other unmanned flying vehicles above or from within Stanford lands. Faculty, students, staff and approved vendors are required to obtain advance approval for such flights from a university committee. For more information and instructions on requesting review of a proposed flight, see the Policy on Operation of Unmanned Flying Vehicles.
- Use of Stanford’s name, other trademarks and emblems, or images in connection with any photograph or film is prohibited without written permission by the university. For more information, see the web page describing Name use, seal or logo request.
- Non-Stanford entities are prohibited from hosting media events on university property, or inviting media to the Stanford University campus.
- Stanford University has an interest in ensuring that the privacy of all of its students, faculty and staff is respected and that no activities interfere with education, research or residential life. Therefore, filming in student residences, dining halls, libraries, classrooms and laboratories is prohibited without prior permission from University Communications.
- Members of the media are prohibited in all residential areas of the university, including student residences and the surrounding faculty neighborhoods without prior permission from University Communications.
- All professional filmmakers and photographers working on the Stanford campus must have prior permission from University Communications, carry credentials and have appropriate liability insurance.
- Filming of b-roll of the Main Quadrangle, Memorial Church, The Oval and other iconic areas of the university, is prohibited for privacy reasons and to avoid disruption of university activities. Members of the media and others may request directions to download high-quality, university-produced b-roll of the Main Quadrangle and other iconic areas.
- Stanford departments and organizations may film or photograph on the Main Quad and in Memorial Court providing 1) they have requested and received permission from University Communications and 2) the work is Stanford-related and does not interfere with university operations.
- Filming or photography on Stanford property for academic purposes is limited only to Stanford University students, staff and faculty, as well as Stanford-sponsored programs and other programs that occur on Stanford’s campus for which filming/photography is part of the program. The resulting films and photographs may not be used or distributed for commercial, marketing or promotional purposes.
- Members of the University Communications staff are not available to scout locations.
REQUEST FOR PERMISSION
Non-news related requests should be made in writing at least five business days in advance.
- Entertainment media requests, contact: Nicole Sunahara Scandlyn, Senior Director of Brand Management, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All other requests, contact: EJ Miranda, Senior Director of Media Relations, at email@example.com.
Requests must include the following information:
- Name and description of the organization or individual making the request.
- Name, office and email address of the Stanford University individual or organization involved in the filming or photography.
- Project description, including the context and way in which Stanford is to be portrayed and the intended use of the resulting material (including where it will be shown and how it will be distributed).
- Date(s) requested.
- Time and duration of proposed shoot.
- Specific site(s) requested. Requests absent specific locations will not be considered. Be advised that filming/photography at locations such as The Oval, in the Main Quadrangle, in Memorial Court and in Memorial Church is prohibited.
- Number of people and amount and type of equipment involved, including vehicles.
- Proof of adequate insurance coverage and indemnity. Certificates of liability insurance should name the Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University (450 Serra Mall, Stanford, CA 94305), its officers, agents, representatives, students, employees and volunteers as additional insured.
- A Stanford location agreement, if necessary, must be executed in advance.
Last updated: January 29, 2018